Saturday, April 6, 2013

April 6, 2013

Well it's April and it seems that Spring has FINALLY arrived. So what's new? I spent the day writing reviews and tests for my students. Less than 2 months left in school :) I also spent the day cleaning out papers, clothes and things in preparation for my return to America! I'll be leaving (hopefully a large portion) of my clothes at the health center. I'm going to ask my counterpart, my nurse partner, to distribute clothes to families in the villages that she thinks are in need.

I recently returned from a "girls weekend" in Odessa, Ukraine which was my last vacation of my Peace Corps service. It's a funny little story. We left Chisinau, Moldova at 12:20am and arrived in Odessa, Ukraine around 6am. Before leaving one of the girls found a 24-hour cafe where we could relax with coffee/food until we could check into the hotel around 9am. We took a taxi to this cafe, but to our surprise. It does't exist (at least not in that location). We decided to walk (6 am, cold, raining) in search of a new cafe. Finally, we spotted those glorious golden arches aka Mcdonalds. As we approached, we quickly realized that they were remodeling and not open. On to the next option- Sit in the train station and wait until 8am. Nope! We were quickly shooed out because only customers and those people willing to pay $7 are able to sit in the station. Walking, walking, walking. Finally, we found a lovely cafe, had our fill, and made it to the hotel for a much needed nap. It sounds like a rough start, but the Indian food for lunch and sushi for dinner made it all worth it. We made it back to Moldova on Sunday evening just in time for the first BBQ of the year at another volunteer's house just outside of Chisinau.

I am still teaching, and preparing to start 2 new projects- 1) a theater and 2) fitness room, both at the school.  Did I mention that I'll be leaving Moldova in just over 2 months?! It's going to be a busy time, but I couldn't be more excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment