Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It's Fall

It's Fall in Moldova, and I'm really enjoying the cooler weather (though not at all excited for Winter). Things have been quite busy over the past few weeks: a wedding, hram, work at the school and clinic, picking grapes, making wine, and much more.



A friend from school and her husband recently took me to my first Moldovan wedding in the capital, Chisinau. It was an amazing experience! There were many interesting traditions, great food, and LOTS of dancing (until about 4am). I met many great people, and had a wonderful time.


I was also able to attend my first hram last week. As far as I understand, every village and city in Moldova has a day of celebration called a hram, in which people eat, drink, and then meet in the village center to dance. Last Tuesday, I was in my room preparing for school the next day when a woman that I've never met came and started talking to my host mother. Before I knew it, I was in the car with her, my host mother, and two other people going somewhere. (In Moldova, I've gotten accustomed to not knowing what is going on about 50% of the time.) So, we were driving for about 30 minutes when we arrived at a house, in village that I had never seen. We went inside to tons of food, and soon I found out it was the home of my host mom's sister-in law (or something like that). We ate too much, and then went to the village center to dance the hora, it turned out to be a great night. 


Last weekend was grape pickin' time. We spent most of Saturday and Sunday picking grapes and then putting them into large barrels for wine. This may not sound like a great time, but somehow I had a blast. The work was easy, and involved bonding with my amazing host mother and eating a ton of delicious grapes. 


My "boss" or the program manager for Health Education came yesterday to visit my school, the clinic, and my home. I haven't been able to do much at the clinic thus far, but my boss was able to get my better connected with one of the nurses at the clinic. I went in today to talk with her, and things went really well. We talked a lot about our families, and the idea of having a "Blood Pressure Clinic" where people can come to have their BP measured, and we can provide them with information about Hypertension. I'm excited to finally have something to do at the clinic.
My boss also observed two of my classes with my partners. We got really great feedback, and it was amazing to hear how much my partners enjoy working with me and how much they appreciate my hard work.
The best conversation of the day came when my boss visited my home. She, my host mom, and myself sat down to talk about how things are going, and if any changes need to be made. My host mom said that everything was great. The day ended with the three of us crying (good tears). My host mom said how lucky she feels to have a new daughter, how much happiness I bring her, and how she never thought that after just one month she would feel so close to me. Goodness gracious, I love this woman. I'm so lucky to have her!

No comments:

Post a Comment